Thursday, December 16, 2010

Colt's session

I ran Colt last night through the intro and the first room. I did better with the intro this time - felt a bit more nature reading it out than it did last time. I'm rather self-conscious about performing for people, but I surprised myself last night. Like Tasha, Colt did quite a bit of introspection - a lot of 'how am I able to speak, think, know things, without having learned them? How am I aware that this is strange?' - that sort of thing.

I'm very interested in letting them do that sort of thing in the first room. He found his item - a box of colored chalk - very soon after entering the room, but I wanted to let this play out for a while, so I kept him in there for longer than the 5 minutes my notes called for.

He tried a number of interesting things - he used the chalk to draw a key upon the floor, hoping that would somehow conjure a key into existence that he could use to unlock the door. He drew a window on the wall hoping it would become real and open for him. I'm sure those were inspired by the Dark Tower... He tried visualizing the door opening. While trying these things, I told him that he felt somewhat silly for doing so, and that he had the intuition that none of these mentalist strategies would work.

Finally, as his ideas started to wind down, he heard a loud mechanical click coming from the door. Immediately he went to try the knob, and he opened the door...

I can't wait for this Sunday, when Sami and Sandor get to go through this same thing - and the group finally meets up. I still need to make Colt's character - I ran him without making it first, but that's ok, because he only made one roll last night - an untrained Crafts skill check. I'll make the character proper tonight when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment